[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What this "white" person brings to the table

  • From: barbara17236@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 11:28:19 -0500 (EST)

It's a personal
preference.

Same here, Kathy:)

When I became involved with whites they were not a DQ in Canada.   Many whites
have been shown in the CKC (Canada) and have earned CKC CH points.   Some were
close to finishing their CKC Championship when the color was changed to a DQ.

Whites have always been showable in the UKC (United Kennel Club) as German
Shepherds.   And, before everyone starts with the UKC comments you may be
interested in knowing that the majority of dogs being shown in UKC today, also
compete at AKC shows.   I am talking about AKC Champions and Group winners.
Some GSD show folks on this very List compete in UKC with their AKC CH German
Shepherds.

As far as allowing the white to go off and become a separate breed -  Honestly,
I cannot understand why any GSD breeder would even consider this.    Why have
breed DQs at all?   Just have all of a breed's DQs renamed and turned loose to
go off and show at AKC as a GSD with another name.   How would they really NOT
be a GSD?   Let's have the Floppy Ear American Shepherd, instead of the GSD DQ
of hanging ears?    How about One Nut Wonder Shepherds?   How about the
American Blue Shepherd Dog?  Or, the US Liver Herder? They wouldn't be
competing directly against GSDs at breed level but how will you feel when the
FEAS beats you in group?   How will you feel when the FEAS is more popular than
the GSD in AKC standings?

Becoming a separate breed is not the answer.  This makes absolutely no sense to
me, a white owner.  A German Shepherd by any other name is still a German
Shepherd.

Barb Hively - PA
DNA.  It's what makes a white, a German Shepherd