[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Two Bitches? Two Litters?

  • From: LauraEG@xxxxxxx
  • To: rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:58:38 EST

In a message dated 12/20/2004 12:37:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
This is a totally new situation for me and I don't want to proceed without
hearing from some of you who might have done this.  Thanks.
Pat
We did this several times.  We had a mother and daughter whelp litters side
by side.  It really worked well, the daughter could not produce enough milk to
feed her 9 pups, mama only had 4 to raise and was able to feed the additional
9 pups.  The daughter was able to help clean and stimulate the pups, just
could only provide enough milk for a snack.  We also did something quite
unusual,
we could put both mom and daughter in with all 13 pups and EVERYBODY was happy!

Later, we whelped half sisters, literally side by side at the same time, and
were able to co-mingle pups and moms. But the thing I used to love was
watching our male dogs come and love and nuzzle the babies when mom was outside
taking a break.  The males would nuzzle and clean and play with the babies,
until
they tried to nurse.  At that point the boys would make a hasty retreat.

That was our experience with two bitches, two litters - hope you enjoy all
that puppy lovin coming!

Bruce & Laura Gilbert
Chesapeake, VA
Jo-Bar's Shepherds