[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Two Bitches? Two Litters?

  • From: Crystaridge <crystaridge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: LauraEG@xxxxxxx, rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:59:13 -0800

As far as I am concerned, the bottom line here is 'Know your girls'.   There
are some that you could NOT have anywhere
near another bitch and her pups,  but there are others than can co-exist
with no problems.

I have on a couple of occasions, had bitches whelp within days.   The
reasons for breeding two girls at almost the same time
were varied, but usually because one had missed the time before, and I
wanted to get on with things.   With my luck, of
course, I would either have NO pups or TWO litters.

The one time that I had pups four days apart, the first breeding wasn't
planned (thanks to my dear husband)  <G>, and I
hoped that the bitch might not take, as I wanted to breed the other girl one
last time and keep something for myself.  I
wasn't too worried as the older female was notorious for 'four pup litters'.
Well, the rest of the story is history.  The first
girl had her pups on July 5  TEN pups -  the female that I kept got 10
points (we are in Canada), three Puppy Groups and a Best Puppy in Show in
one weekend, not bad for an unplanned breeding!!!   The older female truly
outdid herself, also giving me TEN pups -   one of which became our BIS Ch.
Crystaridge's Hallmark.

As it was a summer litter, once they were a few weeks old, I put the moms
and pups in two pens that we have under
our front sundeck.   I would let the girls out in the morning, feed the
pups, then let the pups out to romp and play on the
front lawn.    They would stop for a slurp at whichever mom was handy.   The
girls had no problem with it at all.  When
it was time for the babes to go back to their own 'homes', they would
automatically go to the pen that was 'theirs'.  Worked
like a charm.

But, as I say,  you HAVE to know your girls.

As for the boys being around the babes ---- our "Vega" will lay in the
Whelping Box when 'mom' has gone out to potty,
and take care of the pups, whether they are his or not, until she comes
back.    Our pups are born in the house (in our
Computer Room actually), and once they are old enough to wander around, they
can snuggle up to any of the adults that
they can find, even if mom is around.    I tend to feel really sorry for the
kids that go to homes where there are no other
dogs.

Sylvia
Crystaridge German Shepherds
http://www.geocities.com/crystaridgegsd/