[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Way We Were

  • From: "anthony amoroso" <triplea7@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Elsyd1@xxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 01:06:17 -0800

Hi Syd:
I am not aware officially that Guide Dogs For The Blind are phasing GSD out.
But one of the main reason that
the Retriever line became so popular is that they started allowing the blind
student to meet their companion
and when the blind person touched the dogs they found the coat, especially the
Golden Retriever soft to the touch. The Shepherd's of course was course to the
touch. That, not the ability to work better than a GSD.
Slowly over the years the Retriever use kept getting bigger and bigger but it
had nothing to do with ability.
As many of you know I represented Guide Dogs for the Blind San Rafael as the
Southern California representative for over 25 years. Initially my assignment
was to get my fellow GSD breeders and fancy to donate dogs to the school. The
school realized early that donated dogs would not work and they started an
in-house breeding program of their own. They brought in Dr. Clarence
Pffanberger from Davis to devise puppy tests and administer them.

Over the years Clarence tested many other breeds, even standard poodles. It was
during that period of trail and error that he found out that Retrievers made
great Guides. And the rest is history.

The German Shepherd is still the most versatile working and herding dog in the
world. Just ask some of our boys in Iraq how great they are.

As always, a proud GSD owner, and always will be.

Merry Christmas  !!!!

Tony Amoroso