[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Way We Were

  • From: James Barnhart <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:13:25 -0800

Bill,  I think loose lead evaluation is a better way of finding the
dog that is the best mover relative to the other dogs in the ring.
The point that I'm having a hard time getting across is that  I think
that the power that once thrust some of our great movers of the past
forward is gone.  No amount of loose lead evaluation is going to bring
it back.  As to why this happened I can only speculate.  I'm sure that
many think I am full of it and that the best dogs today move as well
as any the greats of past eras.  Our best GSDs of today are close to
the Standard in structure and type but to my eye even the good movers
lack this rare quality that is hard to describe to those who haven't
seen it.  A lot of GSDs do win because breeders are keeping and
showing dogs that can run fast and that is the trend now.   I am sure
that many of us will continue to breed and exhibit GSDs that meet the
Standard but if I am right in my observations we need to be very
careful preserving the traits that have made our breed great.  Jim