[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The ONLY way to look at it...or correctamundo!

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rautt75@xxxxxxxxx>, "'showgsd'" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 16:07:13 -0800

Ann is 100% correctamundo on this post!!
That was my point in my first post on this subject.... and I believe this to be
the most
important fact in all these discussions when people complain about conformation
not
meaning anything anymore.    ( mainly because THEY are not involved anymore!! )
  <G>
THAT IS JUST NOT RIGHT......UNLESS .....
you do not care about the GSD as a Breed...let alone an ELITE AWESOME BREED!!!
When there are no more conformation breeders and shows......we LOSE THIS BREED!!

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of Anne Utter    Subject:  Re: Another way to look at it.

If the GSDCA breeders stop breeding, performance may go on. But there would be
no need of a standard anymore since everyone would just breed what they want to
breed.
No standard, no goal.  Eventually, would the GSD even look like a GSD -
herding/working dog??    A proper structure and temperament, good health
genetics  are needed and therefore a standard and the Breeders of quality GSDs
are needed.   I always thought that the conformation shows were first
established to showcase the breeding stock (none are altered).   It can't be
just a "pretty" show.  But without Conformation shows, where would the GSD be
in a few years?  JMO
Anne, GA

Sent from Anne's iPad

On Feb 23, 2015, at 11:43 AM, Evan Ginsburg (Redacted sender "elg440@xxxxxxx"
for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tedi raised a good point, I had not thought about.  Most of the breeding is
done by the conformation people. We provide the performance dogs, and few of
the performance exhibitors breed litters.

I am not sure what that means, or how it impacts entries, but if we
conformation people stop breeding litters, (which many have), were are the
puppies going to come from?  I know when we get calls for puppies, we have
trouble finding anyone with litters in Southern California.

Evan