[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Taking OFA xrays with a bitch in season

  • From: Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 08:08:33 -0500

At 11:36 PM 9/27/2008 -0400, you wrote:
>Here's the link to the OFA website where I found this info.
>http://www.offa.org/hdedfollowup.html
>
>If the x-rays were of poor quality or the positioning of the dog was
>incorrect, of course new films can be resubmitted.  In this case, the
>dog would *not* have received its numbers.  The films are screened when
>they come in to make sure they are of diagnostic quality.  If they are
>not, the films are returned and a letter written to the referring Vet
>stating that the x-rays need to be repeated.  At this time, the dog is
>assigned an application number.  All this is explained on the OFA
>website:  http://www.offa.org/hipproc.html
>
>Recently, one of my dogs OFA films were shot by one of the best vets in
>the state.  He told me my dog's elbows were perfect, yet the OFA *final*
>report came back DJD1 in one elbow.  I wanted to take some new films and
>resubmit to see if that elbow would pass.  I was told this was *not*
>allowed.  A "Follow-up" report could be done, but his elbows could never
>be evaluated again in hopes of getting an OFA number.
>
>Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
>Allemande German Shepherd Dogs
>Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam

I had the very same thing happen with a male's one elbow.   It came back
DJD1 - and my vet said he could not understand because both elbows
appeared to be exactly the same (& just fine).

As we could not resubmit for a new reading, we took him to the Orthopedic
Department at the University of Tennessee Vet School..  They x-rayed &
their Department head said that the elbows were just fine, with no DJD at
all in either elbow.   He wrote an official letter, attesting to the fact
that the
dog had been re x-rayed & evaluated with no problem & no DJD.  He
invited anyone to contact him & he would verify his opinion.   I keep that
letter with the dog's OFA certificates.

I have always used OFA, but I do not think that they are always infallible.

Sandy
Sandra Kozub
KcK Kennels
http://iweb.tntech.edu/rkozub/kennel.htm