[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Taking OFA xrays with a bitch in season

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <BonJenShepherds@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:36:32 -0400

Here's the link to the OFA website where I found this info.
http://www.offa.org/hdedfollowup.html

This is exactly what I was told by a vet.  You can not keep resubmitting
films to change the numbers or try to get the numbers after an animal
was evaluated as being dysplastic.  Think about the consequences of
allowing this...  If you don't think there are people out there who
would take a dog to a vet knowing it has good hips or elbows and try to
pass it off as one who was previously evaluated as having
dysplastic hips or elbows, think again.  Unless the dog has a tattoo or
is microchipped, what is there to stop this from happening?

If the x-rays were of poor quality or the positioning of the dog was
incorrect, of course new films can be resubmitted.  In this case, the
dog would *not* have received its numbers.  The films are screened when
they come in to make sure they are of diagnostic quality.  If they are
not, the films are returned and a letter written to the referring Vet
stating that the x-rays need to be repeated.  At this time, the dog is
assigned an application number.  All this is explained on the OFA
website:  http://www.offa.org/hipproc.html

Recently, one of my dogs OFA films were shot by one of the best vets in
the state.  He told me my dog's elbows were perfect, yet the OFA *final*
report came back DJD1 in one elbow.  I wanted to take some new films and
resubmit to see if that elbow would pass.  I was told this was *not*
allowed.  A "Follow-up" report could be done, but his elbows could never
be evaluated again in hopes of getting an OFA number.

Bonnie, et al, please don't take my word for this...  I just posted what
I read and what I've been told.  Contact the OFA and/or your vet.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherd Dogs
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam