[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Suggestions

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:59:07 -0500

Brenda <midnitegsd@xxxxxxx> Writes:

"We recently placed an 8 month old female in a great home in Colorado.
The pup is having a difficult time adjusting to her new home."

Hi Brenda,

I think it's more difficult for a dog to adjust to a new environment
if there are no other dogs in the household.  A few months ago, we
adopted a 15 month old GSD and within 48 hours, he felt completely at
home.  This was due, in no small part, to the "welcoming committee" of
several happy, well adjusted canines and one cat.  Some time ago, we
adopted another GSD who's acclimation took much longer and required a
bit of work...

We adopted a GSD who didn't seem to trust women.  At that time, we
only had one other elderly dog and he ignored her.  To win the new
girl over, I hand fed her for a couple weeks or so.  Every meal.
Worked like a charm.

During play time, I would put a doggie bed on the floor near her crate
and place some toys and treats on it.  I'd take her out of the crate
and close the door.  Then I'd lie down beside the dog bed, completely
prone, and play with her toys like a dog would.  Being a GSD, she was
curious and eventually climbed onto the dog bed to check out the
action.  She came to view the dog bed as a safe haven and didn't need
the crate.  After a short while, I'd began sitting beside the dog bed
and engaging her in play.  One thing I did NOT do was give her much
space without me in it.

Things progressed fairly quickly from there and I knew that I'd won
her over when one night, after crashing on the sofa, I woke up to find
her snuggled between my legs!  I still remember the wonderful feeling
that came over me knowing that she finally trusted me!  I felt like
I'd won the lottery or something!  LOL.

Anyhow, those 3 weeks of an aching back, getting dog food under my
nails, dog hair in mouth and all over my clothes, and essentially
acting like a dog, were well worth the effort.  I'd do it again in a
heartbeat!

I hope this helps. Please keep us posted on the pup's progress.

Paulette McGuirt