[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: So here's a thought....

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:37:55 -0500

I don't think anyone is saying that breeder's should not be involved in getting
puppy buyers involved in shows and performance events.  However, as we all
know, when puppy people come out to see your babies, they go into information
overload and don't retain much of what you tell them.  But, when they hear or
see the same things you told them, from a second party (AKC) they tend to
remember it.  AKC is well known and considered an authority to most people
looking for purebred puppies.  They also have the means to reach hundreds of
thousands of people.  I don't know any breeders that have that power.  Ok,
that said, when a new puppy buyer registers their puppy, they get a flyer for
the breed parent club and pet insurance information.  Would it be too much to
ask AKC to include a list and brief explaination of the fun performance events
available for the dogs?  Or, a page about the importance of socialization and
obedience training for the pet dog?  Or, how about breeders sending the new
owner information to AKC and they in turn send a reminder to register the dog
in their name and send above said info to the new owner?
As far as what I personally say and do with my puppy people.  Well, several
of them have come to dog shows with me.  In my last litter, the folks who
came down from WA to meet and take Cheyenne as a service dog, attended a dog
show with me as I was working and handling a Wheaton.  They were so imp
ressed that their autistic son will soon be starting an agility class with
Cheyenne so he learns about competition and sports. Another pup is doing
herding and obedience.  A third pup started as just a family pet.  But, they
listened and when he got huge, they called and asked for a trainer in their
area.  They also came to the dog show, just to see what it is about.  They
are now getting their 5yr old son involved in training and he says he wants to
go to more dog shows.

The previous litter has 3 CGC certified dogs, two therapy dogs, one with a CD
and one girl doing 4H and Girl Scout events with her dog.

So, yes, I can say with a straight face, that I involve my puppy people, stay
in contact with them, offer obedience training for all my pups and invite them
to shows.  Ok, I don't breed often so I can do this.  No, they don't all
follow thru.  But, the pups that are just pets are just as happy as the ones
who are doing AKC or 4H events or whatever.  Not everyone can and does do
this. That's not to say they don't put the info out there.  It just may not
be retained by the new owner.  It would just be nice to see AKC do more to
reel them in after the breeder gives them the info.  Afterall, they are the
ones making the money off our backs.  JMHO.

Laura