[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Snakes

  • From: "pmick12" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:55:23 -0500

 We are north of Paulette, in Virginia.  And we have copperheads, water
 mocassins, and all manner of snakes...some harmless, some not.

    All over the south there are also Coral snakes and their very similar
 relatives, scarlet king snakes.  Corals used to only be in the deep south,
 but they can be found now, on occasion, as far north as the Mason-Dixon
 line.
   The scarlet king, like most other king snakes, does lots of
 good...killing rodents, eating all kinds of small vermin........but the
 Coral snake is one of the most venomous snakes in the country.   A single
 bite from a Coral can cause slurred speech, double vision, and muscular
 paralysis, eventually ending in respiratory or cardiac failure.  However,
in
 order to inject that much venom, the Coral snake has to chew a
 bit....(YUCK), not just bite.   You can tell a Coral from a Scarlet King by
 remembering the old poem "Red and Yellow, kiss a fellow, Red and Black,
just
 get back."  Bands on a Coral are red, black, yellow, red, black, yellow,
 etc.........the harmless imposters are red, yellow, black, yellow, red,
 black, yellow, etc.

       Any of the big king snakes are good to have around in the country,
 because they keep rodents and other creatures away...but they sure
 can make you jump when you suddenly find one in the woodpile, or where you
 were just about to step.   Most snakes like to sunbathe or
 otherwise be in a wam place..   We used to find dead snakes in the hay
 months after baling, which is done in dry, warmish weather....you'd
 take a bale down and start separating the leaves and wow...there'd be a
 snake.  Again, sometimes poisonous, sometimes not.

      When I lived and worked in Culpeper, we found a nest of Coral snakes
 in the top drawer of an old filing cabinet.........and yes, they
 were definitely Corals...........for days and days afterward, girls were
 going around the office chanting "Red and yellow, kiss a fellow...etc"
 It was scarey, tho!!!   I wouldn't even go in that room for months!!!

 Peggy