[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Size again?

  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:33:03 -0300

Christine and all,
We saw a dog, OUTSTANDING sidegaiter, clean, xint proportions, beautiful
coat,topline,  etc etc,  that was" MEASURED" in the ring by a very prominant
judge against the leg as though "oh too small" when the dog STICKED measured
was 25 and 1/2....he out gaited  most...but was put behind oversized
males .  Now should a dog that is dead nuts standard size lose to a bigger
dog, even when he out moves him?...NO.  but such is the show ring these
days. This is reality guys.  But height, like long coats is penalized
heavily....even though height is a GUIDELINE.
However I would NEVER include, missing teeth , faulty temperament, lack of
secondary sex characteristics, lack of movement as 'Trivial"  (I know you
were only making a point Christine, no problem)  But theycan HARDLY compare
to a dog that may be somewhat above or below standard size.    The items
such as those listed above would be
a NO GO in our kennel and most people we know.
  I will take a bit above standard over  serious FAULTS OF GAIT OR
TEMPERAMENT, or even missing teeth which genetically come back to bite you
in the butt, (pardon the pun) generations down the line.
We in the breed are seeing MISSING TEETH lots, poor temperament, and LACK OF
SECONDARY SEX CHARACTERIISTICS, and LACK OF MOVEMENT , interestingly all in
some of the same lines....in the breed, along with HUGE health issues....AND
WE HAVE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO MINCE ABOUT SIZE ONE WAY OR ANOTHER???
PULEEEEEEZE.
 When we start tearing down dogs based on height alone, we are in deep
sH**.  Let's start with the real issues, TEMPERAMENT, HEALTH, BREED TYPE,
WORK ETHIC AND HOW ABOUT  PROGENY CLASSES FOR SELECTS? If  we want to get
serious about "bettering the breed" how about INSTEAD OF WORRYING ABOUT
HEIGHT .. HOW ABOUT DRUG AND DYE TESTING FOR ALL NATIONAL WINNERS?...  JUST
TO BE DEVILS ADVOCATE.   SOUNDS GREAT TO ME...BUT WILL IT HAPPEN ??? DOUBT
IT...IT EXPOSES TOO MANY PEOPLE .    So much for worrying about our breed .
So the whole "OMG that 's a really BIG dog or a really SMALL dog" kind of
looks inane in the shadow of SUCH LARGER ISSUES.

imho
Kathy