[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Size again?

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:08:31 -0700 (PDT)

 I so agree with this post.  I prefer smaller bitches myself but I do have a
very large bitch with tremendous sidegait that I held on to for just that
reason.  Her size hurt her in the futurity.  How do I know?  The judge
mentioned it in her critique.  Given the quality of the competion I'm not
suggesting she should have been placed higher but I do hope that her size alone
was not what kept her from winning her class, particularly when there are
serious faults mentioned in the Standard the some judges admittedly do not have
a problem with (ie missing teeth).

  Cindy
  cinosamgsd.com
Carolyn <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I might add to Gary's post that the sire of that small male was one of the
Breed's bigger
Grand Victors's at 28 inches....and he produced a "big" son who was twice
Select at 28
inches and BOTH were very athletic and extremely agile with power ....and never
missed
a beat while changing speeds, twisting and turning and stopping while herding
and both
gained their herding titles easily......and both are ROM's as is the smaller
male mentioned.
Neither had a problem breeding smaller bitches and were never considered
clumsy, Goliath,
or Gigantic or bordering on Great Dane size.
The son and grandson of both is an extremely large male and was Highest Scoring
Champion
in herding at the National this year.........he excels at it.
We now have yet another large young male..........not throwing him away
either.........
Someone mentioned SUKEES MANNIX and he was probably one of our larger Grand
Victors
and he will long be in MY memory as one of our biggest and best. This last
years Grand Victor
IMO is one of our biggest and best. A 'problem' for the Breed........I sure
don't think so.

With a breed that is considered to be struggling with a few really serious
issues I can't see
how the "checks and balances" of an occasional smaller dog or larger dog will
EVER be the
serious problem we deal with. To worry about staying right within 24 inches to
26 inches to
me is a serious waste of time. I would relish the day that THAT was "THE"
problem to worry
about.
At this last National we had a judge that put up a wide variation of sizes in
both sexes and that
is as it should be. Our best is usually within a wide variety of sizes. When we
get out the
wicket and worry about the "cookie cutter" of size so as to have no variation
from the 24 to 26
inches, our Breed will pay a much larger price than we do with the ebb and flow
of our great
large, med, and small dogs. To fault the best dog there for it....on either
side of the wicket
is a mistake IMO>
I remember EXTREMELY large males ever since we got involved in the Breed in the
60's and
occasionally an awesome male that was undersized. They won on their side gait
and other
wonderful characteristics and thank goodness we didn't have judges bringing out
the wicket
to penalize them for that one issue on either side of the inch................
Take the time to go through a check list in your own memories and remember the
awesome
BIG dogs and MEDIUM dogs and SMALL dogs that have had been some of our VERY
BEST.

Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com
From: Doris E To: showlist
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Size

More than a few years ago, there was a California dog named Riesenblut's Valor.
He was
not a large male. He was very masculine, and he could move.I remember it taking
him quite
a while to finish. He did, in spite of his size. I, for one, was pleased to see
him get his
championship. However, I prefer a large male. Doris E

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com