[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Responsibility of stud dog owners

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>, The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:22:51 -0500

This is a constant discussion in our breed because we have the "I don't have it
in my line, why should I test?" issue.

Personally, we do health testing for everything for a couple of main reasons:

1. It's easier to prevent rather than fix later. If you breed to a dog that has
health clearances, yet you still have a problem, that is one thing. If you
breed to a dog who doesn't have health clearances and you find out after the
fact there is a problem, that's an issue.

2. I hate being blamed for things. It is easier to cover my b*tt in the first
place. Some years ago, we had the #1 stud dog in Dalmatians and he was tested
for everything because my mom didn't want him blamed if an issue cropped up. We
had lots of suggestions that he was tested because he "might" have the problem.
We also made it a requirement that the bitch owners also do hips, eyes and ears
(thyroid optional). Only one person didn't breed to Rob because of the
requirement and no more and more stud dog owners are requiring it in our breed
(and CHIC numbers are very prevalent now). And it's a requirement to breed to
any of our boys now.

3. The public - with the bad rap that dog folks are getting these days, I think
we owe it to our pet buyers to test. Yes, things do crop up, we still get deafs
in dalmatians and there are still dysplastic GSDs, but if you are responsible
and testing, at least you are trying.

I hate bitchy dogs and doggy bitches, but I hate lame dogs and hypothyroid dogs
even more, especially when my pet buyers call to tell me about it!

JMHO.
Jess M.Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC,
TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC
See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your
life.