[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Responsibility of stud dog owners

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>, uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:51:34 -0500

I agree with Kathy on the below. I am completely amazed at how many won't
breed to a dog for a lack of numbers, but do not think twice about breeding
to a stark raving mad spook.I can live with a dog with a mild hip, I cannot
live with a nut case, nor can I in good faith place a dog/puppy that could
potentially do harm to someone's family member!. I am not advocating for
anyone to stop x-raying, nor am I chastising anyone for making x-rays a
priority in their breeding program. However, I personally look at x-rays
just as I approach any other structural problem I am trying to correct.
When I am seeking to breed my bitch,  I do expect is to be treated in the
same manner that I treat bitch owners when they request information about
my stud dog, and that is to be  forth coming with any information that is
pertinent, so that the bitch owner can make an educated decision.After you
disclose the information, some may choose a different direction if numbers
are their priority, and of course, some will opt to breed to the dog. I
remember a particular stud dog that sired a large number of litters. He did
not have numbers on either end, but he was a good producer. I know of
breeders at that time who were  very strict about OFA's, however, next
thing you know, they were breeding to this dog! At the end of the day, the
desire to win trumped OFA numbers as it often does! LOL! You throw enough
winning progeny out there for the fancy to see and you would be amazed at
how quickly many will reorganize their priorities, be it OFA, temperament
or something else! At the end of the day, most breedings are compensation
breedings. If a have an OFA bitch, I will take a chance on a dog that may
not have numbers, but has a fair amount of numbers behind him and doesn't
seem to be producing an inordinate number of issues.. On the flip side, if
I know of a dog that HAS numbers, but is producing an inordinate number of
hip or elbow issues, I might choose to avoid him. Most of all I take into
consideration what my bitch is bringing to the table and what is behind her
as well!!!! I have bred to dogs with numbers and had issues, I have bred to
dogs without numbers and had issues, and of course I have bred to dogs with
no numbers and had issues and bred to dogs with numbers and had no issues!
Bottom line is to simply exercise common sense when doing any breeding.
JMHO, C

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM