[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Responsibility of stud dog owners

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx, uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:02:24 EDT

Not so much.

Personally, I have puppies checked before they are six weeks, so I know  long
before they'll be bred that they don't have cardiac issues.

If a male has thyroid problems, he'll be missing quite a few bitches, so if
a dog is a viable, successful stud dog...again, thyroid, not an issue.

CERF is only "good" if done annually and as a breed, we don't have the host
of eye issues other breeds do.  Again, this is something checked during  their
pediatric puppy exam here and when I use outside stud dogs, I can  truthfully
say that when I have spoken directly to the stud dog owner and asked  if
there is anything I should be careful of, I've never had anything but  complete
honesty.

OFA'd (or OVC) hips means something to me.  I still don't think the  OFA has
their act together on elbows, so I will breed DJD1, though never  UAP.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 9/15/2008 12:07:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Our  Tyger is OFA H/E/C CERF we just need to do his thyroid
and temperament  test. We have to do all the testing with our other male yet.
Does anyone  out there besides me think its important?
Rebecca  Little