[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rabies

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cgialluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "showgsd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:01:09 +0000

You vet is completely right.  Almost anything will kill live rabies virus
outside a 'host" - soap and water, temperature changes, sunlight, antiseptics,
etc.  Good old soap and water on a wound will get rid of most of the virus.
However, once its inside, injected into the wound by teeth, it only takes one
and you've got it!!
Titers.....hummmmmm...... Because I was handling suspected rabies cases on a
regular basis, almost every day, I got the preexposure series every other year
for 12 years.  Preexposure is easy - three ID - intradermal injections under
the skin [they barely break the skin and after injection it looks like a
blister but gets absorbed in a couple of hours.]  Never had a negative reaction
to the vaccine.  Once we had the same work doctor for more than a year and he
asked the question, this one almost had a FIT when he heard how many I'd
received.   For the past six years I've done titer testing every other year.
My numbers are so high, well, lets just say that Doc told ME not to bite
anyone! LOL  Oh, and I call him before I donate blood to the red cross.  I
think mine ends up in a rabies antivirus manufacturing plant somewhere.....LOL

Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com
Home of Ch Cookie HT PT RN TC CGC, Ch Flair, BIS/BISS Ch Yancy HIC HT PT RA CD
TC CGC BH, Ch Flash, Mousser (13 points/1 mjr), Tess [150 PLUS ROM points/40
ATAA points], and Lil' Miss Gilli RN[Mjr Res Winner]! Website updated 08/06

From: "Cynthia Gialluca" <cgialluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>