[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rabies

  • From: "Cynthia Gialluca" <cgialluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:54:38 -0600

When I worked for the vet in San Antonio from which the first case of rabies in
a dog was confirmed in the outbreak in south Texas in the early 90's, I was
told by her that the Rabies virus did not do well outside the body for very
long.  Her statement to me at the time was that thoroughly washing the wound
with a good helping of soap and water removed about 90% of the virus from
wounds.  Of course washing any bite or scratch with a good antibactrial soap is
advised to help prevent infection, but she seemed to say that with what
research she had done when Rabies was suspected on this particular animal, she
had discovered the bit about washing wounds and Rabies.  Of course it has to be
done as quickly after possible exposure as possible.  Maybe, since this is
Suzannes area of expertese, she can shed some light on this as well?
 As for me, when this dog, and numerous others shortly thereafter, came up pos
for Rabies, the Texas Veterinary Medical Association partially footed the bill
(my clinic paid for the rest for its employees) for us to get the pre-exposure
series of Rabies shots, which I took advantage of.  I boostered it I believe 3
or 4 years later.  As of 2004 my titers were still quite high, so I decided I
really didnt need to booster again.  I know my former boss said that she and
the rest of the vet students got a pre-exposure series while in vet school and
when all this happened she had her titers checked and didnt need to booster it,
and that was quite a few years after he initial vaccination series.

Cindy Gialluca
Cyneca German Shepherds
http://www.gsdcofaustin.org/

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote: My specialty so let me help you out here.  There
is no 'tratmernt' for rabies in animals - only humans.  Human post-exposure
treatment involves a massive dose of Human Immunoglobulin split into multiple
doses - 1/2 administered directly into the bite and the other half in muscle
tissue - as soon as possible after exposure.  Doseage is based on the person's
body weight = BIG, ugly, syringes!!  This is followed up with rabies vaccine on
days 1,3,7,14,and 21 post exposure - id - intradermal and no big deal!  The
first medication is someone else's rabies antibodies.  The remaining vaccines
are to jump start your system to build its own antibodies.
In animals, recommended course of action is:  if unvaccinated or NOT CURRENT -
euthanize and test or a strictly supervised SIX MONTH quarantine if the owner
absolutely pitches a fit.  Vaccinate/revaccinate at the end of month five.  If
vaccinated - revaccinate immediately and hold in a strick quarantine for 45
days.  Yep, QUARANTINE EVEN OF VACCINATED.  The CDC Rabies Compendium, which is
the rabies bible for MDs and GVMs, states specifically that "rabies titers MAY
NOT be used in leiu of current vaccines."  Currently there is only one way to
test and that is to examine brain/neurologic tissue - a direct black light
examination will cause live rabies virus to glow, slides/stained will show the
virus.  DNA testing can show the animal of origin.  These are divided into dog,
bat, raccoon, skunk or Coyote rabies and the variations CAN be passed by a
different species.  For instance, a raccoon can be carrying 'ba t' rabies.
Vaccinations can have a break in efficacy and may not
 alw ays be effective.  Hense teh quarantine for vaccinated animals.

 Several years ago the Alabama State veterinarian was researching/experimenting
with post-exposure treatment in vaccinated dogs but died prior to publishing
his data.  He maintained a pack of hunting hounds that were used in his
research as well as his hunting companions.  All of the official rabies
research is conducted in the CDC facility in Atlanta.  The Compendium is
available on line for anyone who would like to see it.  It is an interesting
document.  Contains an appendix of every approved rabies vaccine manufactured,
length of time approved, and what species research was conducted on.     There
is currently research underway to get approval for a 7 year rabies vaccine but
it will take at least 10 years to get it approved IF they are starting from
scratch on test animals.

Leisurely reading...... Between the Compendium and the Mortality/Morbidity
Report you can see why Suzie is a wonderful conversationalist....... LOL

Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com
Home of Ch Cookie HT PT RN TC CGC, Ch Flair, BIS/BISS Ch Yancy HIC HT PT RA CD
TC CGC BH, Ch Flash, Mousser (13 points/1 mjr), Tess [150 PLUS ROM points/40
ATAA points], and Lil' Miss Gilli RN[Mjr Res Winner]! Website updated 08/06