[ SHOWGSD-L ] POSTS BY KATHALEEN AND ELLEN

  • From: janandmort@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:26:33 -0400

Wow--- what repartee and out pouring of emotions!!!!
I commend both ladies for their honesty and concern over our wonderful breed.
The standard is the standard and the judges who compare one animal against
another -- i.e., number 2 did not have the reach that number 1 did is not
acceptable in my opinion. This happens all the time --- even at our national
and what the judges should do is discuss the why number 2 did not reach as well
as number 1. Explain that the upper arm is perhaps short or that the upper arm
angle with the scapula is not ideal again referring to the standard without
referring to each animal as  the "placings" will give the answers. I also think
that critiques should be a must as it tell the observers as well as the
handlers and owners the why of the judges thoughts!!! I realize this is "not
allowed" by the AKC nor is double handling but how boring for the observers.
The subject of fast gaiting has always been a pet peeve of mine. The natural
gait of the GSD is the slow to medium trot and should be judged as such. The
"flying trot" i.e. the suspended gait ,can be seen at the slow to medium trot
and the racing around the ring is superfluous.
I think the racing is done for the spectators and this has been a trend even in
Germany --at least for a very short extent.
The gait should be BUOYANT --that is the animal should have spring in it's gait
with tremendous power from the hindquarter that is transmitted over the strong
back to the forequarter.
I too am concerned about our breed here in North America BUT let me say we have
improved and we have some excellent specimens that could win anywhere in the
world. Temperaments are definitely better but middle pieces and croups have a
way to go. The upper arms are typically long but straight and lie too far
forward but again this is a general statement as we do have excellent examples.
I judge alot internationally and will be in New Zealand in April for their
Championship which will be a 2 day even with about 300 dogs shown. All
countries have problems within the breed but they too do their best to improve
as we are doing. I will relate my experience there when I return and see what
they have done to improve since my last judging assignment.
We are in control of a wonderful breed let us all do what we can to improve
it's health and well being as well as it's structure and reason for it's
existence.
Thanks,
Morton Goldfarb