[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: POSTS BY KATHALEEN AND ELLEN

  • From: Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: janandmort@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 07:25:36 -0800

I love the term "BUOYANT" Morton used to describe the gait we all so love.
Yes transmission over a STRONG BACK....boy we saw tons and tons of long
hocks, short steep croups, and
rolling undulating "rumbling" loins and backs .  The white wall tells all.
This seems to be the norm in the breed rather than the exception.  Since
when are egregiously long hocks and all the lumbar movement acceptable?
On the up side, we found on the whole better temperaments, and far fewer or
maybe just better dye jobs.
The racing was unnecessary.   It looks as thought "he who gets there first,
wins".....which we know is not the original intent, but it gives that
appearance.   Why so fast?
Slowwwww is good.
Again if we went slower we might well see more people being able to handle
their own dogs.
The only time I could see a GSD being required to demonstrate ground speed
is in in pursuit of
a stray calf or sheep or chasing a bad guy....and they wouldn't do either at
a BLAZING trot...they would gallop.
Of course many of the dogs can't do "slow" because their gait fails
them...they cease to drive from the rear,
reach in the front, and a sea serpent -like back becomes a glaring weak
point.  At that point the race only dogs, look like a jalopy with square
wheels.
Yep, slow is good.
Kathy
http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
PUP-DATED:  OCT 5, 2009
Home of:

CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle

"En Victoria , Veritas"