[ SHOWGSD-L ] National ranking...small National entry?

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:43:05 EDT

In a message dated 4/14/05 8:45:51 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
.we have  one standard...we should have one type of show GSD...and please do
not say we  do just have one, cuz that just aint so....a good friend of mine
said...our  standard is like a moving target!.....and we all know a moving
target is hard  to hit!....

In a perfect world.

But, as long as we have judges who are looking for different things, we  will
have different dogs. We allow judges to judge our dogs at all-breed shows
that have limited understanding of our standard. The only solution would be a
limitation on who is allowed to judge German shepherds.  That would be hard  to
do, as the AKC controls who get a judging licence and who does not.

So many get a license for our breed, so as to be able to do the group.
Perhaps the AKC should stop that limitation. We also have three times the
Specialty shows as the next closest breed.  The German shepherd is not a  dog
that can
be judged by what it says in the book, it takes experience and  knowledge.

I do not have a solution, but I no longer enter an all-breed show, unless I
know the judge knows our breed.  That does not work for everyone, because  in
some areas the all-breed shows are the only opportunity there is.

The best solution is to not worry about numbers.  We have good  competition
in all venues. There are no easy champions due to the low entries,  (ask
someone who is campaigning a dog rather than someone who hasn't shown in
years).
We have great fun at both all-breed and Specialty shows.  Do  we need a
solution if we don't have a problem?

Why do we keep saying we want only one type of dog?  Is there  something
basically wrong with having two or more styles?

That is the question that seems to get ignored. If it isn't broken, don't
ask for your money back.

Evan

_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together