[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: National Length Change?

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:06:08 -0700 (PDT)

I am glad your dogs are active in A and I hear that Jim is doing very well with
his Ch working on C.

They can do A course and that's fine. They can also do all those other things
-- but, in truth, they do not need to have a ground covering trot for SchH nor
Agility - they need short burst speed and balance for those. A course would be
easier if they did not display such a preference for working the side, but
being very trainable, they learn the other. They are not at all designed for B
course, yet can adapt.

It is those very traits that were found in the tending dog and promoted into
this breed that makes all the other possible.

So if by "modern" you want to give up those very traits that make this breed
special -- that gait and adaptability, then fine.

Having bred dogs that participate in the various activities - I stil think that
the standard makes the most sense, with the emphasis on smooth, ground covering
trot and strong character, when watching them handle a flock on a graze.
Doesn't mean they can't everything else - just that as we have the standard, it
is a tending breed.

Ruth