[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: National Length Change?

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:08:04 -0700 (PDT)

Why wait until the dog finishes.  I can think of nothing that conditions a dog
better than herding.   I plan on herding here at home on Sunday then leaving on
Monday for the National with the same dog.   Just don't tell my handler.   :o)

  Cindy

Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Carolyn wrote:
When your dog is a top Show Dog........and a great Herding Dog....there is no
feeling like it.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

That is so true!  When your dog finishes, take him/her herding!  It is worth
the drive and the price of the lessons.  When Callie finished, we started
herding, rally, and obedience.  She goes to 3 classes a week.  We needed
something to do between finishing and the whelping box.  True, we have to drive
90 min each way, and lessons aren't cheap.  But Callie loves herding like I
love conformation.  It's a fair trade for what she has given me and will give
me, hopefully, in her puppies.  Some basic obedience is required in herding, so
these classes work well together.

I agree that it is a real shame that herding is so far from the rest of the
National this year.  The distance makes it impossible for me to attend the
herding this year, and I am just sick about that!  Perry was so great in that
you could walk right outside the conformation ring into the herding area.  We
might as well have separate Nationals if the events cannot be located in close
proximity to one another.  And, I would hate to see this separation.  More
folks are putting performance titles on their show dogs now, and that is a
great thing!  We need to continue to encourage that by making sure that folks
can compete in multiple venues at one National.  I think this consideration is
more important than geographic location.

 Zoa

Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockshepherds.com

POST is Copyrighted 2008. All material remains the property of the original

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com