[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Nail Clipping - Oh Yeah?

  • From: Robert Utter <utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 08:48:35 -0400

Just the way we do it here too.  My guy may flinch a few times but
when I say "leave it" a couple times firmly, he relaxes on his side
and about goes to sleep.  I prefer to dremel about once a week and
that goes fast as there isn't that much to take off.  Holding the nail
close to the base seems to help with the vibration and be careful not
to squeeze the foot or nail.    Training pups to the sound of the
dremel early on and letting them watch a calm dog get nails done helps
give them confidence when it is their turn.  Then just tip a toe or
two at first.   My one GSD hated having her rear nails done and
usually it is the front.   We always had someone at her head stroking
and massaging and talking while the back feet were done which
generally went quickly.  This seemed to take her mind off of it.   All
mine lie down and I assume any pose that works!    Anne, TN