[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Nail Clipping - Oh Yeah?

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lfossland@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:12:57 -0700 (PDT)

Lee -

  I've found that not restraining those difficult dogs works best for me.  You
might start by playing and picking up his feet alot when he is relaxed or
playing.....putting your fingers between his toes, even pulling on his
nails....but never making a big deal out of it, and never turning it into an
episode....it's just something you casually do during the day.

  When he is comfortable with you touching his feet, then you just spring the
clipper on him one day...not when he's on the grooming table and not with
anyone holding him....just walk up pick up a foot and clip one or two nails and
walk away.  Within a few days you can usually get all of his nails clipped.
Eventually they will tolerate having their nails clipped in a more formal
setting and sometimes are the easiest dogs to do.

  This doesn't work with grinders...too noisy and it takes too long.

  Cindy

Liane Fossland <lfossland@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Here's a good one for you:
I have an 11 months old male (my breeding) who absolutely does not let me
cut his nails. He weighs 80 lbs. which can easily support his determination
not to let this happen. I had a neighbor who knows my boy and was asked to
hold him for me. Won't work. I had him at the vet's. With 3 people trying to
do it, they gave up and the vet determined at that point not to try it again
for their sake. He suggested that he be put under anesthesia while he cut
his nails. That's $80.-, and I know that's cheap. But what about the future?
Would I have to put him to sleep each time he needs to have his nails
trimmed?
I have been in dogs for a long time. There NEVER has been, up to this date,
any dog who I could not trim nails on. I am hoping that perhaps one of you
can figure out what I need to do in order to get the job done. Any
suggestions?

A frustrated Lee F.

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com