[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Most depressing day.........

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 01:08:20 EDT

In a message dated 4/2/2006 10:05:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
We
need guidance from legitimate exhibitors to help solve this problem, not
comments from people who do not participate.
---------------
If you think this through a little deeper, you'll surely realize that you
shouldn't exclude the need for comments from people who do not participate.
They
are the people who aren't there.
I doubt that reducing the number of regions will help much, if any.  You only
end up making the trip farther away and more expensive for some potential
exhibitors.  The problem with futurities is the cost.  People feel like they
cannot compete against the top handlers, especially in shows like the
futurities
and the national.  So .â?¦ They either spend a lot of money or they just don't
go.  If they have a sure thing future star, they'll probably spend the money
and
take their chances.  If they have a really good dog and they know the future
star is going to be at the show, they are a lot less likely to fork out that
much on a less than good chance to win.

I think that ideas about making the system less important are completely off
the mark.  If you take away the importance of the shows, why would anyone
bother to go at all?  Instead, there should be more importance put on
placements.
If that could be done, people would have a reason to go, even if they
expected to go second, or third, or fourth.

Carol was right also.  A judge doing a show not long before a futurity
assignment that is in close proximity to the futurity, will only hurt the entry
at
the futurity.  If you show your dog to a judge and lose, why would you show to
the same judge a few weeks later where the competition will either be similar
or even more difficult?  I would go one step beyond restrictions on where a
judge can do a show prior to a futurity assignment.  I would restrict the
judging to people who are not licensed to judge dog shows.  I would take a
chance on
a new judge before I would show to one who I know good and well will not like
my dog.

Tom Langlitz