[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Most depressing day.........

  • From: Grace Eaton <zgrace_grace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pmick@xxxxxxxxx, utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 10:00:50 -0700 (PDT)

I am a newbie and i have heard all of this, " if you can't afford to
show...don't" etc.. I have heard all about the politics involved and it is
there too.... I have learned by going to the shows etc... that you have to have
thick skin to stay in dog showing. But really, people are people no matter what
club your in or what show you are at be it All Breeds or Specialties. There are
all kinds of people in this world and in the dog show world too. I've learned
to just move on past the negitive because I have gotten so much positive out of
it!
  Grace
Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Anne is exactly right. Her last comment is exactly why more new people
aren't coming into the breed, at least not people who want to show at
specialties...they run right into that snotty attitude - "if you can't
pay the freight, stay away, you won't ever have a good one," etc.
The other thing is that if they DO stand around and listen to the
people at specialties, they will hear the same old song "can't win
without a handler" "can't beat so-and-so" --- you tell me, would you
want to start now in a game where you knew the deck was stacked against you?
For those of you who ARE able to "pay the freight," has it ever
occurred to you that maybe you are buying those wins with some of those
handlers? Don't knock the guys who can't spend what you can...and
CERTAINLY don't try telling me that just because they don't have as much
money as you do that they can't get, have, or breed dogs as good as or
better than yours.
That's the very snottiest, self-serving comment I've ever heard or
seen anywhere on any email list or at any show anywhere!
Peggy

Robert Utter wrote:

>Maybe this is one reason there are less and less people in this "game".
> We don't all have the money to pay the "freight". And we might
>bemoan cost of gas. I for one, and I know others, who will save to
>get the best dog possible and pay the "freight" whether we have it or
>not. We won't go back on our word and we love the dogs and love to
>show. And yes, we might bemoan the cost of gas but we would get the
>handler and go anyway whether we could afford it or not. But you
>wouldn't allow such a person to have one of your "best" dogs because
>they might not have the money (in your opinion) to show the dog etc.
>And the person might not already have a "handler/agent involved who may
>have a relationship with the breeder/owner to refer someone known to
>them who can "pay the freight" " Why in the world would anyone
>want to get into this "game"? Maybe I'm taking this post wrong but
>it sounds like total snobbery. Anne, TN

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

            Grace Eaton
  Sirius German Shepherds
  zgrace_grace@xxxxxxxxx

countries) for 2¢/min or less.