[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: More food for thought on DM

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Rbuffdogs ." <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:54:28 -0500

I looked at my email and saw I forgot to say that diagnostic testing is 99%
specific when an imaging study and CSF evaluation are done combined with
patient history... Which is pretty suggestive I would say.
But, there is still the around 1% that weren't...
I am just waiting for enough evidence to accumulate that PROVES the MSU DM
test wasn't the "be all, end all" test for DM; that there are (at least)
two types as we all know. Perhaps then the funding will begin again to
discover the genes for GSD type DM, so our breed can have a genetic test...
I still feel like the GSD as a breed got slighted and cut out of that
deal... Lots of us donated to DM research have we not?  Then a test that
doesn't even work with our breed?  Horse puckeys!
It sure was a surprise when the sire of my OFA N/N DM tested dog died of DM
(confirmed by necropsy) at 13!  Um... Shouldn't she be an obligate
carrier?!?
Well, at least I saved my money by finding that out before I tested the
rest of the family... That would have been good money after bad in my book!
JP&P