[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: More food for thought on DM

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tanksr@xxxxxxxxx" <tanksr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:26:35 -0500

Well...
There actually ARE CSF protein/chem tests that can lend to the diagnosis of
DM in the GSD... And of course, a CT or MRI easily rules out the presence
of orthopedic disease; EMG can conclusively show the loss of nerve function
to each root (and show where the lesions are at on the spinal cord by the
roots caudal to them won't have proper function). When combined with
patient history, this is the "gold standard" for diagnosing DM.
But, yes- necropsy/histopathology are the only way to give definitive
diagnosis of DM- however the use of modern diagnostics gives us enough
information (as proven by necropsy it was indeed DM) to definitely suggest
DM.
Thankfully, we've come a long way from 1973 when DM was first described as
a neurological disease- and difficult to tell apart from the myriad of
other spinal pathologies...
Jen P & her Pack wearing the nerd hat

--
JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911 Canine Consulting
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!

Support the next generation's stewards in the sport of dogs...
Donate to the German Shepherd Dog Youth Recognition Fund!
www.gsyrfund.com

http://showgsd.org/mail.html