[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Loose Lead Temp test

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:24:25 -0800 (PST)

It does not work.  I thought I got a decent Golden/GSD cross in my mate, you
know, very sweet and giving with just enough protection to make one feel safe.
He turned out to be more of a Chow.  Very aloof, snappy within the pack but can
be shown in public most of the time without a problem.  Sometimes he turns on
me in public and I am about to alpha roll him the next time he does so.  (No, I
will not be alpha rolling anyone else, thank you very much!)

  Like color enhancement, you just cannot be sure until you look at the
pictures of the parents and grandparents to be sure of the quality being
presented to you.  By the time I saw his pedigree it was too late.

  But we have produced 2 serious potential winners.  One is maturing nicely the
other will be a very late bloomer, but still has lots of promise.

  Even in breeding, no matter how much you do research, you cannot be sure of
what will come of the breeding.
  Sheila
ELG440@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 11/20/2005 3:06:54 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
has any one ever had their handler spook in the ring by the judge??...

I have always tried to hire a handler that is sound. Often they are aloof
and not subject to a reasonable approach. I have had handlers stand there and
ignore my approaches, and when I try to put my hand on them, they often
ignore me. I have had a few of them turn on me, and I often have to disqualify
them if they do so.

The real problem is if you marry someone who is aloof. You need a better
temperament test for dating, and maybe we need to work on that. Maybe we need
a loose lead date program.

If you approach a potential mate and she/he is too aggressive or too shy,
that person needs to be disqualified. It would eliminate a lot of my family
law business, but sounds like a good idea. I am not sure aloof is the right
thing, however. Many of my dates were too aloof.

That is why Tedi and I have lasted 40 years, and looking towards the next
40. She never minded that I am this aloof and have always stood for
examination. (Shut up Paul-The-Board Member).

Evan
_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament come together

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training