[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Judging the Dog the Day of the Show

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:18:07 -0700 (PDT)

This isn't just about handlers.......I know judges will deny that they have the
chance to look outside of the ring, but I have felt that becuase I am not a
known "face" as an owner, it has hurt me.   Last year I was at a big Specialty
and my bitch was one of 3 that the judge was moving each one taking a turn up
front.   He moved my bitch to the front when he was done...and of course I let
out a loud whoop.  The judge looked me square in the eye, moved them one more
time (another beautiful pass for my girl), then moved both bitches up in front
of mine.   I feel that this is because he didn't have a clue who I was and the
other doublers were "faces", and more than one person outside the ring told me
it was because he didn't have the balls to do it (give me first in a big open
class).

  I also hate it when first place pictures are taken before winners class for
this same reason.

  I honestly think that it is just human nature to lean towards dogs of
successful known breeders especially when the competition is close enough so
that any dog could take it.....which is why it's so important that our judges
are more Godlike then human. :o)

  Cindy

  ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Jim, I agree. A few years back when I was using Christina and most judges
didn't know her, we went to a show and in the first class addressed all the
handlers on a first name basis and ignored her. She went last with a better
dog. I won't show to that judge today.
Ann Home of Sel Ex # 6 Ch Maxwell, Sel Ex Ch Gilley and #1 Dam Muggles -
owner/breeder of 68 champions and 19 ROMs