[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Inbreeding -

  • From: barbara17236@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 09:49:04 -0400 (EDT)

I have been trying to read all the posts on this subject but my mailbox is
loaded.  I have a few things to add, though.

Believe it or not, I have had more issues show up in outcross breedings than
line or inbred litters.  Based on Dr Geroge Padgett's logic, it takes 16 or 17
pups, from the same parents, to rule out issues.  So, doing one inbred litter,
resulting in 8 pups, may not show anything.   You would need to repeat ANY
breeding (out, in, or line) to get to that "magic" number.   Of course, "bad"
things can and will show up in a litter of 8 pups but just because your litter
of 8 pups ended up healthy, doesn't rule out the possibilities that there but
not showing yet.   How many of you have repeated a breeding only to have things
show up that didn't in the original breeding?  I know this has happened to me
several times.   Or, how many breeders won't repeat a breeding because a repeat
breeding never turns out as good as the first?

Inbreedings - I handle these by providing my buyers with a lifetime health
guarantee against genetic defects.  Hips and elbows are guaranteed until 26
months, and all of my buyers are encouraged to get the hips and elbows done at
24 months so I will know.  And, all of my pups are usually sold on LTD papers
and spay/neuter contracts to protect the breed.

Each of us are responseable for doing the right thing, and to own up to our
mistakes.  What works in one breed may not work in GSDs.  We all need to be
open about our dogs, and our lines so that the GSD breed can survive.

Just some thoughts

Barb H - PA