[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Importing dogs problems...

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <DestinoGS1@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 13:03:18 -0400

Thanks for the additional info, Mary.  I used a broker once and she was
wonderful, but the charge was $250.00.  She did go the extra mile and
resecheduled a flight for the pup I was importing.

I too flew a dog as excess baggage to the NASS from Raleigh.  I was charged
$275.  The last time I flew a dog as checked baggage, the charge was $125.
Northwest now charges $299 for a dog traveling in a #400 crate as baggage.  For
International travel, the charge for a dog+crate under 100 lb. would be
multiplied times 3 or $897.  To my knowledge, for domestic travel, American
Airlines still charges $150 for dogs checked as baggage.  (They went up from
$100 on May 22, 2008.)  Don't know what they charge for International transport.

Continental Airlines no longer accepts pets as checked baggage -- only as
cargo.  You can earn extra miles through their "PetPass" program.  Also, at
IAH(Houston), Continental maintains an on-airport kennel for boarding.  They
also offer grooming.  (I've never used this service, so I can't give an
opinion.)

Due to extinuating circumstances, I can't drive long distances, so I rely on
air travel for myself and dogs.  Recently, I ended up letting my handler take
my dog home with him.  I miss this boy badly, but it's going to be cheaper
exhibiting him that way.  I guess the increase in pet travel fees is just a
sign of the times, but it sure hurts the old pocketbook!

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam