[ SHOWGSD-L ] Guys Stop With the Bashing

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Zoa Rockenstein'" <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>, <jim_barnhart@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'gsd showlist'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:27:20 -0700

I love the way Gail Sprock worded it.     We see it as  "the cream will rise to
the top".......<G>
This started as a question about Clubs doubling up their shows for one weekend
and I still
believe it will benefit the Clubs and the Exibitors for time and money.....and
the handlers as
it frees up more weekends for them.....possibly more shows elsewhere if they
choose.
Though this conversation took a 'bend'  to the quality of judging it also is a
good point.  Instead
of driving TWO times to show under one judge each time on two different
weekends......you
actually might  have three more to choose from.   If not...don't enter under
those....or don't go.

BUT...........It STILL would have been the same slate of judges for those
shows!!!
NOTHING CHANGES THAT!!       It's a moot point!
The 4 show weekend does not change the judging slate the Clubs vote for!!

We all have a list of judges we will not show to again for a variety of
reasons.    We all know
judges we will drive a distance to exhibit under with the dog we are
showing....and there are
some we have never seen judge.
Hopefully a Club puts a good slate of judges together no how matter how many
shows are offered!!
If the membership is voting without due consideration for their Club's success
but their own bias no
one has control over that.   The four shows in one weekend  don't CAUSE
that..... anymore than
they cause one dog to win every day........or a different dog to win every day.
   Those are judge
decisions no matter how many shows Clubs puts on that weekend.    Again....a
moot point.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com
  From: Tom Elkins <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>To: jim_barnhart@xxxxxxxxxxx;
  Jim  --  I think that your "too much of this sport is a corrupted culture"
  statement is incorrect. As for the "poll", I'm for whatever will help
  specialty clubs survive and hopefully thrive. If that means four shows in
  one weekend, great.
      As far as the "corrupted culture" business, I'd say that notion is
  fundamentally wrong. If you have a star and someone who knows how to handle
  presenting it, you'll win at specialties. You may not win every time, but
  you'll win. A big part of the problem is that too many people look at their
  dogs with their hearts and not their heads. They think their dogs are better
  than they really are, so when they lose they assume there must be some
  conspiracy against them, e.g. crooked judges. Have I seen shows where I KNOW
  there was hanky panky in the outcome? Yes, but not that often. By the way,
  that stuff happens at all-breeds too, but it just takes on different forms.
  As long as there are human beings involved, those things are going to
  happen, hopefully not often.
      It is very difficult to win at specialties because the competition is
  extremely tough. Remember, you have to beat everyone there in your sex, and
  that usually means at least a few very good to excellent animals on each
  side. My experience is that blaming crooked judging at specialties for
  losing and/or small entries is the last refuge of people who just don't get
  it, and who in reality don't have a dog that is good enough to win.
  tom elkins   Firethorn Templehttp://www.firethorntemple.com <