[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Guys Stop With the Bashing

  • From: "Tom Elkins" <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jim_barnhart@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'gsd showlist'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 04:27:27 -0500

Jim  --  I think that your "too much of this sport is a corrupted culture"
statement is incorrect. As for the "poll", I'm for whatever will help
specialty clubs survive and hopefully thrive. If that means four shows in
one weekend, great.
     As far as the "corrupted culture" business, I'd say that notion is
fundamentally wrong. If you have a star and someone who knows how to handle
presenting it, you'll win at specialties. You may not win every time, but
you'll win. A big part of the problem is that too many people look at their
dogs with their hearts and not their heads. They think their dogs are better
than they really are, so when they lose they assume there must be some
conspiracy against them, e.g. crooked judges. Have I seen shows where I KNOW
there was hanky panky in the outcome? Yes, but not that often. By the way,
that stuff happens at all-breeds too, but it just takes on different forms.
As long as there are human beings involved, those things are going to
happen, hopefully not often.
    It is very difficult to win at specialties because the competition is
extremely tough. Remember, you have to beat everyone there in your sex, and
that usually means at least a few very good to excellent animals on each
side. My experience is that blaming crooked judging at specialties for
losing and/or small entries is the last refuge of people who just don't get
it, and who in reality don't have a dog that is good enough to win.

tom elkins
Firethorn Temple
http://www.firethorntemple.com