[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: German/American crosses >Aloof

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 07:19:50 -0700 (PDT)

From: "ELG440@xxxxxxx" <ELG440@xxxxxxx>

I do not see it the same.  The dogs in Germany are seldom house dogs  .
They are kept in a kennel and as both standards call for,  they are to be
aloof. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Aloof:

reserved or reticent; indifferent; disinterested: Because
of his shyness, he had the reputationof
being aloof.

Not the type of dog the Euro countries breed for but see it
in GSD America.

Whether a person wants to admit it or not there are way
too many German
Shepherds in America that do fit the above character in temperament.
As America continue to accept this behavior including this at GSD
Specialty Shows it will get much worse.
When a older dog pulls away from a judge acts insecure this dog should be
excused not rewarded with a top ribbon.
They have no place in a breeding program to produce more like them and should
not be placed in a pet home.

They should remain
with their breeder for them to continue to see it is undesirable
behavior.

It continues to amaze me how breeders breed this type of dog
and feel
dogs of this nature belong close to a child in a pet
home.  Yes, there are handlers
out there that can work to hide this temperament but these
dogs will still become
unglued with certain judges.  The knowledgeable judge knows how to get them
to react and these judges should be commended not ridiculed
if these dog do not
place.  I am tired of
listening to excuses as I know most people are of why
a dog acts this way.  It is all Genetics if you have a sound dog in the first
place
it does not matter the circumstances the dog will stand
their ground and not shy away.
It is time we get back to breeding a dog of sound temperament that is what the
German Shepherd Dog
was and always should be.

Theresa