[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: German/American crosses >Aloof

  • From: Jackie Short-Nguyen <marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 11:09:26 -0400

From the way you're describing it though, Theresa, what people are doing is
breeding SHYNESS and calling it aloof.  That is not true aloofness.
I have a couple dogs here who are truly aloof, and do not give a crap about
strangers.  They can be touched with no issues, and they will hold their
ground when approached, but they show no interest in the stranger doing the
approaching.

I think the issue is not enough people truly understand what aloof is, or
they use the word to excuse shy behavior.

That said, I do think more animals should be excused from the ring.
 Animals that can barely be examined shouldn't remain.  It's in our
standard.

Jackie Short-Nguyen
Marcato German Shepherds <http://www.marcatogermanshepherds.com/>