[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: German/American crosses >Aloof

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:00:35 -0700 (PDT)

I understand what you are saying the point I was trying to make was that way
too many people do not understand the meaning of Aloof.  I look at the meaning
as standoffish but threw the other out there to let others know everyone looks
at it differently.

standoffish

having or showing a lack of friendliness or interest in others <she proved to
be simply shy, not standoffish>

A German Shepherd can be standoffish but never shy as shyness it not good
character in temperament.
I do not want to own a Golden Retriever type personality in my German Shepherd
to run up and love
everyone.  I like the reserve thinking in my dogs to not believe everyone is
their friend but be aware there
are people out there not to be trusted.  The German Shepherd I have always
owned let my children and now grandchildren
lean on them, kiss them on the nose, hug them, even had a few tugs on his ears
and tails by my youngest ones
and they accept all.   Yet protective with all the family and have saved me
many of times in the
Rest Areas along the Interstates from a person that came up behind me as I had
no knowledge of them.  I know it is not
a good idea to stop at 2-3 am at them but sometimes I have had no choice.  The
German Shepherd Dog I own now
has turned, stood his ground and barked at these intruders.  As they had no dog
in hand do not believe they were to
be trusted.  A well-bred German Shepherd Dog does not need to be trained to
protect or deal with a situation they
instinctly know the good guys from the bad.

I have always owned German/American crosses as I feel you can get the best from
both.  The Czech lines are
a bit too much drive for me as they act more like the Aussie or Border more
hyper always need something
to do.

Theresa

 Date: Tuesday, September 3, 2013, 11:09 AM

From the way you're
 describing it though, Theresa, what people are doing is
 breeding SHYNESS and calling it aloof.  That is not true
 aloofness.
 I have a couple dogs here who are truly aloof,
 and do not give a crap about strangers.  They can be
 touched with no issues, and they will hold their ground when
 approached, but they show no interest in the stranger doing
 the approaching.

I think the issue is not enough people truly
 understand what aloof is, or they use the word to excuse shy
 behavior.
 That said, I do think more animals should be
 excused from the ring.  Animals that can barely be examined
 shouldn't remain.  It's in our standard.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at
 10:19 AM, Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

From:
 "ELG440@xxxxxxx"
 <ELG440@xxxxxxx>

I do not see it the same.  The dogs in Germany are seldom
 house dogs  .

They are kept in a kennel and as both standards call for,
 they are to be

aloof.
 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Aloof:

reserved or reticent; indifferent; disinterested: Because

of his shyness, he had the reputationof

being aloof.

Not the type of dog the Euro countries breed for but see it

in GSD America.

Whether a person wants to admit it or not there are way

too many German

Shepherds in America that do fit the above character in
 temperament.

As America continue to accept this behavior including this
 at GSD

Specialty Shows it will get much worse.

When a older dog pulls away from a judge acts insecure this
 dog should be

excused not rewarded with a top ribbon.

They have no place in a breeding program to produce more
 like them and should not be placed in a pet home.

They should remain

with their breeder for them to continue to see it is
 undesirable

behavior.

It continues to amaze me how breeders breed this type of
 dog

and feel

dogs of this nature belong close to a child in a pet

home.  Yes, there are handlers

out there that can work to hide this temperament but these

dogs will still become

unglued with certain judges.  The knowledgeable judge knows
 how to get them

to react and these judges should be commended not ridiculed

if these dog do not

place.  I am tired of

listening to excuses as I know most people are of why

a dog acts this way.  It is all Genetics if you have a
 sound dog in the first place

it does not matter the circumstances the dog will stand

their ground and not shy away.

It is time we get back to breeding a dog of sound
 temperament that is what the German Shepherd Dog

was and always should be.

Theresa