[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD movement question

  • From: Jastek5@xxxxxxx
  • To: Doctrcorgi@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 03:19:21 EST

If a dog is shown on the loose lead(not just a few steps when it has its
momentum to carry him) all the way around the ring at all three speeds, the
best
moving dogs will be obvious to most. It ain't that complicated. We have some
dogs who become big winners never shown this way, i think it is a travesty for
the dogs to be shown in any other way other than the loose lead.
I remember a futurity a few years ago that i was showing at. The judge was
adamant about dogs being shown on the loose lead. A big name handler with a big
winning dog had come to town and he was leading the class, the dog looked
great albeit on a tight lead. The owner of my dog became nervous as we were in
second.
I told the owner, under this judge the handler will be forced to get the dog
on the loose lead.  As soon as the judge told the handler get the dog on a
dead loose lead, the dog with the beautiful outline and the far reaching gait
all
of a sudden had its butt go up, it seemed to lose its rear drive,and it was
running  downhill. Needless to say the dog was appropriately placed in 3 or 4th
place. If that judge had not insisted on the loose lead the dog would have no
doubt won best in futurity. A better example of the impact of loose lead
could not have been shown.
Unlike this judge I've seen too many judges that give the loose lead "lip
service" only and apply it selectively. To me they are either not committed to
finding the best moving dog or they don' t understand Shepherd movement(or i
guess they have a keener eye, one that does not required the loose lead to
determine the best mover).

I for one honor those judges that believe that loose lead gaiting is central
to their procedure and are willing to insist upon it to consider any dog.

I've had the luxury of learing under some real good "old timers" that have
taught me the importance of the loose lead. It will be central to my judging
procedure, if and when that day ever comes.

Bill