[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurity/Maturity Entries

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:44:44 -0700 (PDT)

The point is, Mike, that out here CONFORMATION cannot stand on it's own any
longer. Park rental, insurance, flying in judges, mailing entries, AKC fees
(have you noticed how they went up?) and all the rest keep going up and up and
we cannot just keep raising the entry fees. We have it as our policy to hold
the line on the entry fees if at all posible.

  You live in an area with more conformation exhibitors. Out here the
exhibitors are very limited. We used to draw exhibitors from California, but
they set up shows on the same weekends and are building majors at home. It is a
10 hour drive to the SF Bay area - the cost to drive up and back now is at
least $300 plus hotel. They stay home for hte most part. And I don't blame them
- I would think long and hard about another long road trip.

  If we could make the shows more novice handler friendly, we might interest
more newbies. But that is not going to happen as we get all excited about the
flashy, racing dogs instead of the smooth, fluid, effortless dogs. We love
speed. It is not going to happen as the entire show game has become more and
more professional - the average Joe cannot afford the expensive ads in the
multiple magazines, the endless travel, the handlers, the photographers, the ad
agencies --- so they go play elsewhere. Too bad - this should be a wonderful
activity for the whole family.

  We are maintaining our entry fees at $24/$14 with Jr handling free. That
means if the conformation show was to pay its own way, it would have to come up
with 110 conformation entries to cover basic costs - two shows on one day at
least combines the park rental and insurance costs for both shows. Two shows on
one day will come closer to covering the conformation costs. I can tell you
that there are not 50+ local conformation exhibits. So we do a lot of other
things to pay for conformation.

  This club committed a lot of money to make our conformation shows worthwhile.
We could just join with an all-breed and make their GSD classes our specialty
and it would allow us to meet the AKC requirements of holding a breed event. We
don't want to do that. So we looked for GSDs in other venues and said - come
and join us. We are creating educational programs that will assist those not
used to thinking about conformation to learn about correct structure and how it
can help them in their endeavors. And they teach us the importance of a sound,
balanced dog in the performance field.

  It is a win-win situation.

  Ruth
Lindenhill German Shepherds <Lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  But it shouldn't be, that is the point. Conformation should stand on its
own, like it did for mamy years, supporting the obedience entries. And what
if those other clubs, choose to hold their shows on YOUR weekend(assuming
they are more then 200 miles away) with both obedience and conformation.

YOU CAN'T STOP THEM