[ SHOWGSD-L ] Futurity Requirements Redux

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TISHW@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:58:39 -0700

Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurity Requirements Redux

 while reducing the number of Futurity/maturity regions is a simple fix it
may not be the thing to increase Futurity/Maturity entries- if we in fact
are producing fewer animals perhaps the number of plaques could be
reduced-but the system is currently failing compared to twenty years
ago-Kris

Paul adds...

The Sport of Showing Dogs is also in free fall. Entries are down everywhere
and not just in our breed. Many of the things we do or used to do...have
fallen victims to many forseen and unforseen occurances.

If we want to maintain the Futurity/Maturity system...we cannot start
eliminating Regions or even combining Regions in this economy. And...as
Joannie pointed out...the true believer will go where the best Judge is best
for their dog. I don't believe "True Believers" are the problem.

When we began in 1981...classes in shows and futurities were loaded with
entries. However, in 81, I heard old timer after old timer talk about how
bad entries were in 81 compared to the old days. Remember when Jimmy Moses
judged the Mt. Madonna match? 235 entries and they had to move the cars
around the ring for light in order for him to finish.

One of the challenges I listed for the PClub on my Candidates
Questionaire...was to encourage new people into the breed. I know that
sounds like DUH...but it has been a problem since we got into the breed and
it continues. One possible solution...and one Ed Martin shared with me at
the Canadian National...is to work with AKC and get information from their
registrations that we could then offer them the opportunity to join the
PClub. We actually discussed that in the context of securing support to
fight the ARO's...but it could work in both ways...While not all would
join...more would that find out there is a GSDCA. Then...with the good
education...it is likely many would participate in the Futurity system and
increase the numbers.

We need to make the futurity system easier to participate in than more
difficult. I think it's more important to have Regional Clubs eager and
willing to put on a futurity than it is to eliminate the region because the
number of litters didn't reach a certain level. We have 4 such clubs in the
MP Region and it would be 5 as we all will help Reno should they want to
host a futurity.

Judges are what draws in any Region...for the True Believer. Fun and a good
time will help draw the rest. Our clubs...as well as many others in the
system...do an excellent job in catering to those needs. I am more than
willing to discuss this with any club and how it has worked so well for us
in the past.

My thoughts...as always...

Paul