[ SHOWGSD-L ] DNA proof of dog breed

  • From: "Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 06:31:18 -0700

I keep hearing people state the white GSD "proof in DNA"
There still is no accurate proof of breed of dog through testing
their DNA!!!!

Dog breed genetic tests put to the test

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=23206

However, for years they could determine parentage by DNA.  In my horse breed
we have Hackney, Saddlebred, Quarter Horse, etc. breeds that were introduced
into
the breed before blood testing- DNA was required for both sire and dam.  So just
because the parents are DNA'd back to the offspring does not mean another breed
did
not enter earlier.

So please tell me why AKC-GSDCA and the white GSDs dog breeding keep saying it
is
in the DNA?  Since the AKC has never required proof of parentage by DNA of the
parents who
really knows for sure.

Theresa
GSDCA Member