[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Close sable

  • From: Destinogs1 <destinogs1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: stormy435@xxxxxxxxx, izaackerman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 21:28:21 -0500 (EST)

Many years ago, I bred a sable to a sable and it was a line breeding on
Doppeltay's Jesse James.  I got a b/t that was a blue and sables that were
livers.  One male puppy was born dead.  He was a solid gun metal gray.  I
really don't know what he would have looked like if he had lived and grown up,
but he was definately not a sable nor a black and tan.  I've never seen that
color again, nor have I ever gotten livers or blues since.  This goes back to
the late 60's.  I've bred sables for many years and have never seen a sable
born dark that got lighter and lighter with age.  In my case, the sables got
darker as that got older.  Some of the black and tans were so light at birth
that some people THOUGHT they were sables.  Since sable is the dominant, not a
recessive gene, one parent must be sable in order for any of the puppies to be
sable.  I've never gotten a sable from two black and tans, just light, washed
out black and tans.

Mary

From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx

s it possible even though they looked as though they had a saddle they
ere actually a sable?
Theresa
On Thu, 2/7/13, Amy Greenhut  wrote:

arbara.......that statement is not true.    I know of several people who
ave bred two sables together and got black and tan puppies. I evev know
f one litter where 80% of the puppies were black and tan. Since sable is
he dominant gene, you would not think that would happen.......but it
oes.

Amy Greenhut
ustrock German Shepherds