[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Cardiac and GSD's

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:30:02 EST

Paula, it's the first site that comes up on google:

_http://www.caninegeneticdiseases.net/DM/testDM.htm_
(http://www.caninegeneticdiseases.net/DM/testDM.htm)

I'm quoting:

"A relatively high percentage of dogs in several  breeds have the
predisposing mutation. With the testing done thus far (thru  February 2011),
the
frequency of the mutation is over 70% in Boxers, Pembroke  Welsh Corgis, and
Wire Fox Terriers. There are another 10 breeds where the  mutation frequency is
over 40%."

This is the test used by the OFA.  So are we in  the 40%?????  (You feel
"OK" w/ that????)  I'm not even sure if we are  in the 40%...again, Ginny
Altman posted a while back, she was far more eloquent  than I, but it appears
that the marker is NOT located in the same place for all  breeds...does anyone
know if the research specific to our breed has been  continued in FL????

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 2/28/2011 5:22:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I have  searched and searched and have found no contradictory research
information  regarding the DM marker test that OFA uses.  Please let me know
where you  found it.  I know there was some controversy about the Flash DM
Marker  Test in Florida, but, not the OFA test.

TIA,

Paula

Home  of BIS, BISS, Multi-Group Winning, GSDCA Dual Title Award Recipient,
AKC  JAM/AOE, International & American Champion, Grand Champion Asgard
Harley  Davidson v Plamark, HT, PT, CGC, TC, HIC, OFA CHIC #64047 (Hips,
Elbows,
Cardiac, & Thyroid), DNA tested clear of the long-coat factor, 2010 #1 GSD
in California, 2010 #1 Male GSD in the Country, 2010 #3 GSD in the Country,
 (AKC Stats), 1st male German Shepherd Dog Grand Champion, 2011 Westminster
 Kennel Club Dog Show Invitee.