[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Brood Bitch or a Pet?!

  • From: Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx
  • To: nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 14:10:01 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/2006 10:51:51 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
As I  recall ,our breed went through an era, where we breeders were only
looking  for that super star bitch with the flying side gait.  We began to
sell  the other bitches from breedings as "companion pets" if they were not
"show  quality":  Not too long after that we saw males that began to  loose
their masculinity and strong male characteristics as these very typey  show
bitches that were pretty and feminine could not necessairly produce  the
stallion males.
This senario became evident recently in one of our  breedings.  The bitch was
not of show quality but did possess the  qualities outlined above safe one -
there was insufficient substance.   We finished 3 from the litter but we lack
substance in one of the males.  which will conceiveable keep him from
obtaining the Select Title and that's  why we advise larger bitches with good
substance be bred to him.
It  would be interesting to hear from others.  How

Xint Post Nancy.
Yes you are right , some of the best qualities come from non show  bitches.
Let's face it, when some animals are bred for one specific trait,  be it side
gait, color, size, etc, you often lose the rest of the picture.   We have seen
this many times with some dogs, awesome sidegait, but may be  lacking
secondary sex characteristics, pigment, feet, ribbing, temperament, etc,  etc.
would rather use a bitch that is healthy with good genetics and  mental traits
and not show quality as far as the current show ring ideals are  concerned ,
and
gain some of what is being lost....like longevity.  I may  only get another
brood bitch the first generation, but when I go back into  "show" lines for the
next generation, I will have gained many qualities  which are lacking .

Kathy

_www.Victory_ (http:www.Victory) germanshepherds.com

We are what we repeatedly  do, Excellence then, is not an act, but a
habit.-Aristotle
Victory...There's Something in a  Name