[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Brood Bitch or a Pet?!

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 14:09:19 -0400

Barbara Galasso writes:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Barbara Galasso" <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 7:55 AM
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Brood Bitch or a Pet?!

How does a breeder determine which of his bitch puppies will be sold as
a brood bitch or a pet?  I've seen pictures of brood bitches that look
like pets.  So what's the difference?  Is it one outstanding quality
that the brood bitch has that makes a breeder decide to use her for
their breeding program?  And how about that pet.......could she not also
produce well coming from the same bloodlines?  Best wishes,  Barbara

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS

Hi Barb,
This is an interesting question and I think, a good topic for discussion.
Personally at Heinerburg, a bitch that does not meet "top quality show
status" will  only be considered as a Brood Bitch to improve the stock, if
she possesses certain qualities. .
Starting with the premises of a quality pedigree, excellent health of the
entire litter from which she came, &  total soundness ( she will have a
great influence on her off spring, and the subsequent genetics of  the next
generation too): we look for the following:   excellent substance, good
bone, great heads with good ear set, length and lay back of shoulder
blade,and the angle at which the two meet,  and the same with the upper arm.
because the great fore quarter is so difficult to obtain.  Importance is
also placed on the spirit and strength of that bitch.  She must possess that
certain something; "difficult to define, but unmistakeable when present"
hardly a direct quote from our Standard but  you get the gest. Adequate
angle of the rear quarter is OK with us as our experience (and other
breeders experience may be quite different) is that increased angle in the
rear can be obtained in one generation PROVIDED the stud dogs exhibits that
desired angle and  his pedigree reflects it. Certainly, it is  helpful to
see that angle in the stud dog's  off spring.
Historically, it is interesting to note, that some of our greatest dogs and
producers were from Bitches that never saw the inside of a show ring but
were worth their weight in gold in the whelping box.  A few that come
instantly come to mind are : DBL GV Yoncalla's Mike ROM., his son, AM & Can
GV Hollomor's Judd ROM,  AM & CAN GV Lance of Fran-Jo ROM, & his son GV
Mannix of Fran Jo, ROM and another Fran Jo GV Aspen, ROM,  GV Scorpio of
Shiloh Gardens ROM, I think also, but am not sure, correct me folks if this
is wrong, Multiple SEL CH Sundance Kid, (Highest living ROM). GV Langenau's
Waton ROM, and of course there are more and I don't intentionally leave any
out.
As I recall ,our breed went through an era, where we breeders were only
looking for that super star bitch with the flying side gait.  We began to
sell the other bitches from breedings as "companion pets" if they were not
"show quality":  Not too long after that we saw males that began to loose
their masculinity and strong male characteristics as these very typey show
bitches that were pretty and feminine could not necessairly produce the
stallion males.
This senario became evident recently in one of our breedings.  The bitch was
not of show quality but did possess the qualities outlined above safe one -
there was insufficient substance.  We finished 3 from the litter but we lack
substance in one of the males. which will conceiveable keep him from
obtaining the Select Title and that's why we advise larger bitches with good
substance be bred to him.
It would be interesting to hear from others.  How about it?
Nancy Harper
   .  .