[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Brood Bitch or a Pet?!

  • From: John Ayotte <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 11:27:15 -0400

Perhaps part of the problem in answering this question is that the
definition of s brood bitch is more in the mind of the buyer than the
breeder/seller :-)

A buyer may be willing to take a chance on the potential producing
ability of a puppy bitch, even if they feel that she may not have
what it takes to win consistently in the ring. Therefor, they are
buying a brood bitch. They may see some outstanding trait that they
need to bring into their breeding program, and feel that the rest of
their lines are strong where the bitch puppy might be weaker.

Same goes for a breeder deciding to keep s bitch puppy as a potential
brood bitch.

There really is no definition (until after the fact when the proof is
in the litter box) of a good brood bitch. It all depends on the needs
of the breeder and the selection of partners (and the number of
champions produced is a poor yardstick to use in measuring the
producing ability of a bitch or a dog... they need to produce what
you think is correct according to the standard for you to rate them
as producers, regardless of what happens in the ring... winning is
nice, however <g>).

The other important factors to consider in a potential brood bitch
(health, robustness, ease of whelping, care of puppies, temperament,
etc) are also hard to evaluate in a puppy, and you must go on what
you can learn about her parents, their siblings, and the other dogs
behind them. It's hard. If it was easy, we'd all be better breeders :-)

John

John Ayotte
john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Frankenhaus German Shepherds