[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Board meetings (Long)

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx, pruett@xxxxxxxxx, Stormy435@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:25:36 EST

In a message dated 2/20/2009 9:24:59 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx writes:
As a  member of long standing,and as one who has served  30 yrs  on and  off
on our GSDCA Boards under at least 8 different Presidents. I have  to
disagree
, While conference calls have been used many times both  by the  Executive
Board , Special  Committees and even  occasionally a full  Board,in an
emergency,
It is not conducive to  our type of operation. We are not  a University,or a
Big
Business.  Hopefully we operate in a business-like  way,but our dog hobby is
very personal, emotional operation,and thrives on an  open face   to face
discussion and settlement of dog related issues. Dog  people  are
stubborn,independent people,and when you get 19-20 of them in  the  same
room,each with their on
opinion, you can really understand  why we do our  business best in  an open
,face to face meeting.  I know you are thinking of  saving money. I have
always  found that  conference calls can be manipulated by a chairman,and some
participants  never have a chance to speak. I was sorry that the Nomination
Committee  changed from face to face to conference
calls,but at least ,in that   ,the membership can add as many as they want.
I'm
sure you will  understand,after  you've served on the Board several years,but
we
all  do appreciate your  interest,and suggestion,and I personally thank you
for
your participation   Helen Miller  Fisher

As a parent who has served in school boards I will disagree with you.

I think you will find that the great majority of those who participate and
volunteer in school boards are VERY passionate about the time they put in.
Could  be that the future and education of our younger ones is very personal,
and
a  HUGE motivator, a tad more than the need for a show venue. Actually, you
cant even compare these two.

In reality, having meetings done "technologically" and the  consideration of
reducing the amount of Board Members, both suggestions have  merit.  However,
these changes require changes on our By Laws. And that is  what must be done
first.

We have too many board members.  HUGE corporations with millions of  dollars
at stake find teleconferencing quite effective and fiscally responsible.  And
they conduct their business with far less people.  The impact on the  bottom
line is considerable.  We spent $40,000+ on last years traveling to  3 board
meetings. That's a huge chunk of money for a club of 3,000 +/-  people.  $1000
of that to fight the BSL wars would've been great.

We conduct conference calls every week, with 23+ people in attendance. We
hold 1 meeting a year, where we all get together. Our company had an increase
in
 sales of 21% last year, and this year we already show 15% increase. In this
economy.  I would call that effective.  It is doable.

Our board members deserve our gratitude. I am sure many are realizing the
board positions are too many, and since these positions are to serve the club,
and not the personal agendas, they will see the positive value of these
suggestions.

Less board members, less traveling, well written agendas, good recording,
and the same passion. That's what's needed.

Lets find the balance.

JMO, as always.

Ileana

steps! (http://pr.atwola.co