[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Board meetings (Long)

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: pruett@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:24:40 EST

In a message dated 2/20/2009 7:27:47 A.M. Central Standard Time,
pruett@xxxxxxxxx writes:
understand the Board's reluctance to substitute a face-to-face meeting  with
technology.  It's not quite the same as "being there."  I  certainly would not
suggest that we meet via technology for every meeting as  the there is value
in the networking, team building, and camaraderie that is  possible only when
a group meets in person.  The board certainly needs to  meet in person when
touring/evaluating a possible national site.  BUT, I  certainly think that a
creative mix of meetings in person and via technology  could both enable our
GSDCA board to continue to work hard on the club's  behalf and do so cost
effectively, freeing up club resources for other club  priorities (my pick
would be
legislative issues

 As a member of long standing,and as one who has served  30 yrs  on and off
on our GSDCA Boards under at least 8 different Presidents. I have to  disagree
, While conference calls have been used many times both by the  Executive
Board , Special  Committees and even occasionally a full  Board,in an
emergency,
It is not conducive to our type of operation. We are not  a University,or a Big
Business. Hopefully we operate in a business-like  way,but our dog hobby is a
very personal, emotional operation,and thrives on an  open face  to face
discussion and settlement of dog related issues. Dog  people are
stubborn,independent people,and when you get 19-20 of them in the  same
room,each with their on
opinion, you can really understand why we do our  business best in  an open
,face to face meeting. I know you are thinking of  saving money. When I first
served on the Board( under Burr Robins) we paid our  own way ,and for many
years after. I don't think we started getting any  compensation until Bob
Hamilton,and then it was only $100. I think our  transportation became
reimbursed,
under Harold Sands. I have always  found that conference calls can be
manipulated by a chairman,and some  participants never have a chance to speak.
I was
sorry that the Nomination  Committee changed from face to face to conference
calls,but at least ,in that  ,the membership can add as many as they want. I'm
sure you will understand,after  you've served on the Board several years,but we
all do appreciate your  interest,and suggestion,and I personally thank you for
your participation   Helen Miller Fisher
**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)