[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Attack work on the List

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Terry Cochran" <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>, legatogsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:25:47 -0500

I have read this thread with interest. I have done obedience, schutzhund
and conformation. Steve was more involved in schutzhund than I was, it
never really appealed to me and eventually Steve lost interest in it. With
that said, keep in mind that the father of our breed created a dog that was
supposed to be an efficient moving machine, the founder of our breed had
the ideal in mind, in form , function and trainabilty.Physical attributes
were just as important as working attributes. If I were doing schutzhund
today, I would have the best representation of the breed I could find, one
that could do the work, but also embodied what a GSD should look like and
at least try to come as close in the movement department as I could.I
realize that I wouldn't have the 'best of both worlds" but I would at least
try to have an animal that reflected as much of the standard as possible.In
my opinion, participating in dog sports does not mean that one discards the
other aspects of the breed, just as showing in conformation means that one
doesn't discard the trainability and character of our breed. Currently I
see working dogs that are "supposed" to be GSD's but look like malinois/GSD
crosses.They could easily have been bred by some unknowledgeable back yard
breeder and if shown in conformation would probably have a ribbon withheld.
ON the flip side, I have seen some dogs exhibited in conformation that are
not functional, and couldn't work because of their incorrect conformation(
dragging toes, too much rear) wouldn't allow them to, or their temperaments
were so unsound that they would be unfit for even remedial work.They too
should have ribbons withheld!. It is as if those who are involved in
working purposely disregard the physical parts of the standard as
unimportant which is just as incorrect as conformation people disregarding
the character and trainability portion of the standard. Until working
people concede that ignoring the physical part of the standard is incorrect
and conformation people concede that ignoring trainability and character
and working ability is incorrect, then neither side is interested in the
total dog or the standard for our breed.Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

training. Protection is obedience under high distraction. The person in the
middle of the ring is no longer an agitator he is referred to as The
Helper. He helps the dog learn self control and then rewards him with the
sleeve. They don't like the term Attack Dog any more than we like the
expression of Brain Dead Showdog.

>   How was that Linda?
>
>   Terry
>
> legatogsd@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>   Apparently I am incapable of making this point. What I took offense to
was your use of the terminology 'attack work'. No one gets away with saying
what I do is attack training.

> For what its worth, I am a member of USA. We seldom see any pics from the
protection phase in our magazine - - maybe in the context of an article or
national/world event results - but not really as advertising.